NIELSEN FOUNDATION PRIVACY STATEMENT
Effective Date: June 2018
The Nielsen Foundation cares about your privacy and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose data. The practices described in this Privacy Statement are undertaken by the Nielsen Foundation, when it receives personal data for the Discover Data program through Discovery Education.
DATA WE COLLECT
When you contact us or make a request to us either directly or via Discovery Education, we may ask you to provide certain information, including your first name and surname, your e-mail address, telephone number, company/school, job title, and the content of your query.
HOW WE USE THE DATA
The Nielsen Foundation will use the data you provide us:
- To respond to your questions and requests, including to connect you with a Nielsen associate volunteer in connection with the “Discover Data” Program.
- To send you information about the Nielsen Foundation and the Discover Data program, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies; and/or other administrative information.
- For our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new educational activities, improving our programs, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of the program and our communications.
WHEN WE SHARE YOUR DATA
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined above, we may disclose your data to:
- Members of the Nielsen group of companies for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- Third parties that provide services to us, such as (but not limited to) website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure, IT services, customer service, email delivery, and auditing.
- Relevant third parties as part of a Nielsen Foundation corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of Nielsen Foundation business or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding).
- Other third parties as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to enforce our terms and conditions; (d) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (e) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or those of our affiliates, you, or others; and (f) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We will not share or sell your information with third parties in order to allow them to contact you for advertising purposes, unless you have asked us to do so.
We make use of appropriate technical and organizational safety measures to protect your personal data under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you feel that the security of any data that we hold about you has been compromised, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us at Nielsen.Foundation@nielsen.com.
EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
<>If you no longer want to receive communications from us, you can contact us and request to be removed from our Discover Data communications database. Please note that if you do opt-out of receiving communications from us, we may still send you important administrative messages in connection with your participation in an ongoing volunteer opportunity or other Nielsen Foundation event.
We will retain your personal data only for those periods necessary to fulfill the various purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required by law.
We ask that you not send any sensitive personal data (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other beliefs, health, criminal background, trade union membership, or government-issued identification numbers). If we do receive any sensitive personal data about you, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent to collect and use such information in accordance with applicable law.
After reading this Privacy Statement, if you still have questions about our privacy practices, please contact us at: Nielsen.Foundation@nielsen.com